Arabic Study Abroad in Amman, Jordan
Arabic in Jordan is an intensive nine-week program for studying Arabic language and Arabic culture. Students participating in this program will obtain a maximum exposure in the Arabic language and the Levant dialect, which will help them converse confidently in the Arabic language, and research about the Middle East and its culture.
The program takes place at Jordan Language Academy (JLA) in Amman. JLA is considered one of the best language centers in Jordan and the Middle East with an experienced faculty and staff who have considerable experience working with international students. It is the institute of choice for many academic institutions all over the world. JLA will teach Arabic language and culture at all levels. Some content courses that match the students’ interests and background will also be taught. Such courses are designed to take students to the next levels of proficiency in accordance to ACTFL guidelines.
The students will stay with host families, and can participate in voluntary work and many other learning activities. Students will receive 25 hours of instruction per week, as well as a series of culture workshops throughout the program. Students will participate in three main field-trips, cultural excursions and many other extracurricular activities the JLA will organize such as the cultural clubs (Arabic Games Club, Book Club, Cooking Club, Cinema Club).
Courses offered are as follows:
- ARB 201 and ARB 202: Second-Year Arabic (10 credits)
- ARB 301 and ARB 302: Third-Year Arabic (8 credits)
- ARB 401 and ARB 402: Fourth-Year Arabic (6 credits)
- ARB 491: Special Topics – Media Arabic (1 credit)
- ARB 491: Special Topics – Arabic Culture (1 credit)
- ARB 491: Special Topics – Jordanian Dialect (1 credit)
Here are some of Jordanian institutions that offer volunteering suppuration and internships to our students in case you decided to study in Jordan:
Study Abroad Resources
- College of Arts and Letters Scholarships (College of Arts and Letters majors only)
- Boren Scholarship (Early February program deadline – Dec 1 MSU internal deadline)
- Critical Language Scholarship (Early November deadline)
- Fund for Education Abroad (January 1st )
- Gilman International Scholarship (Need-based award; deadline early Oct for Spring / Summer and March 1st for Fall)
- MSU Office of Study Abroad Scholarships(March 1 for Summer/Fall – Oct 15 for Spring/Winter Break)