Assistant Professor of Hindi-Urdu
Office: B-380 Wells Hall
Ph.D. in Second Language Acquisition, the University of Iowa
Rajiv Ranjan is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Linguistics, Germanic, Slavic, Asian & African Languages at Michigan State University (MSU). At MSU, Rajiv is associated with the Asian Studies Program and Master of Arts in Foreign Language Teaching (MAFLT) Program. He is also the mentor for the Fulbright Language Teaching Assistants (FLTAs). Before joining MSU, Rajiv Ranjan taught as a graduate teaching assistant at The University of Iowa, Iowa City (2010-2015) where he received his PhD in Second Language Acquisition in 2015.
In addition to his classroom-teaching experience, Rajiv taught the online graduate courses “FLT 860 Foreign/Second Language Acquisition” at MSU, and “Hindi and Urdu Language Structure for Teaching” at Kean University. He taught an immersion program for the South Asia Summer Language Institute (SASLI) during Summer 2016 at University of Wisconsin, Madison and he taught in a study abroad context during the Summers 2015, 2017, and 2018 for the American Institute of Indian Studies (AIIS) in India.
Rajiv’s primary area of research is generative approach to second language acquisition (SLA). His research interests also include socio-cultural approach to SLA, second language writing and speaking, language pedagogy, and morpho-syntax.
Awards and Grants Received:
· Transformative Language Pedagogies Grant, College of Arts and Letters (Michigan State University, 2018).
· Delia Koo Global Scholarship (Michigan State University, 2017-2018).
· Affiliate member of W. Mellon Foundation to the Big Ten Academic Alliance for LCTLs (Michigan State University, 2016).
· Business Hindi, CIBER (Michigan State University, 2016).
· Enhancing the Midwest Knowledge Ecosystem (EMKE) Grants to develop Hindi language textbook and course (2015).
· Graduate College Summer Fellowship (The University of Iowa, 2015).
· Ballard and Seashore Dissertation Fellowship (The University of Iowa, 2015).
· Stanley Language Scholarship for summer Urdu program in Lucknow, India (The University of Iowa, 2013).
· Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award (The University of Iowa, 2011–2012).
· Fulbright scholarship, FLTA (The University of Iowa, 2010-2011).
2018: Challenges in Writing and Dynamic Corrective Feedback for Hindi Learners. Advances in Hindi Language Teaching and Applied Linguistics (edited by Ghanshyam Sharma), LINCOM-EUROPA, Munich, Germany. ISBN 9783862889020 http://lincom-shop.eu/LSIEL-50-Advances-in-Hindi-Language-Teaching-and-Applied-Linguistics/en
2017: Hindi-Urdu. University of Minnesota. https://open.lib.umn.edu/hindiurdu/
2016: Business Hindi Resource Guide. Center for International Business Education and Research Broad College of Business, Michigan State University. https://ibcstatic.broad.msu.edu/sites/globaledge/resources/BusinessHindiResourceGuide.pdf
2015: Book Review. JOSHUA H. PIEN, & FAUZIYA FAROOQUIF. Beginning Hindi: A Complete Course. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press, 2014. Pp. 696. Modern Language Journal, 99. 3, 621–623. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/modl.12261
2013: Teaching Strategies of Grammatical Gender in L2 Hindi/Urdu. Arizona Working Papers in SLA & Teaching, 20, 1-19. https://journals.uair.arizona.edu/index.php/AZSLAT/article/download/21219/20800