Minor in TESOL for Non-Education Students

Undergraduate students who are not pursuing teacher certification in the College of Education but are interested in teaching English abroad or in adult programs in the US may add a TESOL minor.

  • Requirements (15 credits) include:
    • LIN 200 or 401 or ENG 302
    • LLT 306 (Teaching Methods) – starting Fall 2017*
    • LLT 346 (Pedagogical English Grammar)
    • LLT 361 (Second & Foreign Language Learning)
    • LLT 496 (Practicum in Adult ESL Teaching) – Spring Only Class

*Students who completed LLT 307 prior to Fall 2017 can still apply the course to the TESOL minor instead of LLT 306.

TESOL Study Abroad Program in Japan

See the “Teaching English in Japan” summer program.

Student News 

Comments from Kayla Cragg who completed a Service-Learning Honors Option as part of the LLT 307 course:

“My role as a volunteer assistant English teacher with the Refugee Development Center was assisting in the beginner-level adult ESL class. The students were from a variety of different countries and had varying levels of English proficiency – some students struggled with the alphabet, while others were able to speak and comprehend basic sentences in English. No matter their proficiency, though, everyone seemed to enjoy class and make a genuine effort to engage with us volunteers. Completing my Service-Learning Honors Option with the Refugee Development Center reaffirmed how much I love teaching English and working with international students. The Service-Learning Honors Option gave me the opportunity to apply my coursework in an authentic and meaningful way, and served as a perfect reminder of why I chose to pursue the TESOL minor.”

ESL Endorsement/TESOL Minor in Education

For information on the TESOL minor for undergraduate education majors, see the College of Education, Elementary Education or Secondary Education websites.